Patches and hotfixes are free updates for Crusader Kings II, though there they are different in purpose:
- Patches fix many bugs and/or implement balance tweaks. They are sometimes released alongside a new, major DLC; when this occurs a portion of the DLC's features are usually shipped as part of the coinciding free patch, thus made available to anyone who has the base game.
- Hotfixes are very small updates to the game that usually fix only a few bugs and may contain a few changes to the gameplay as well. Hotfixes are commonly released shortly after major patches to fix any unforeseen bugs that came with the previous update, or independently to fix newly-discovered bugs or exploits.
- Note that newer DLCs cannot be activated if you're playing on an older patch version. E.g. You cannot activate Conclave if you're playing 2.4.X and older, and you cannot activate Conclave and Horse Lords if you're playing 2.3.X and older. This is more applicable for mods, who have various levels of compatibility with new patches.
|3.0||2018-11-13||PXTU||Released alongside Holy Fury.|
|22.214.171.124||2018-09-07||SAHQ||Hotfix. Note: Beta patch 126.96.36.199 can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch and has same checksum.|
|2.8||2017-11-16||PLQA||Released alongside Jade Dragon.|
|2.7||2017-03-07||WHGQ||Released alongside Monks and Mystics.|
|2.6.3||2016-11-24||VNFM||Update for the EU4 converter for EU4 patch 1.19.|
|188.8.131.52||2016-06-02||OTSX||Bugfix for the EU4 converter|
|184.108.40.206||2016-05-30||FHON||Update for the EU4 converter|
|2.4.5||2015-10-16||NFUF||Patch. Can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch.|
|2.4.2||2015-07-21||AJJW||Patch. Was initially an open beta patch.|
|2.3.6||2015-06-11||JWMQ||Hotfix. Can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch.|
|2.3||2014-12-16||BTOF||Released alongside Way of Life.|
|2.2.1||2014-11-18||DPOO||Patch. Can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch.|
|2.2||2014-10-14||URWO||Released alongside Charlemagne.|
|2.1.6||2014-07-02||TTXL||Hotfix. Can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch.|
|2.1.1||2014-03-25||CFYM||Released alongside Rajas of India.|
|2.0.4||2014-01-17||FCUV||Hotfix. Can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch.|
|2.0.3||2013-12-20||COWM||Hotfix. First steam-exclusive patch.|
|2.0||2013-11-18||WGPN||Released alongside Sons of Abraham.|
|1.111||2013-08-16||MLYP||Hotfix. Can be reverted to via Steam Beta branch.|
|1.10||2013-05-27||SKDF||Released alongside The Old Gods|
Each patch has an associated checksum that allows to verify the installation is correct.
It is displayed at two places:
- On the CK2 launcher: it is the reference/expected checksum (hardcoded).
- On the game lobby, in the bottom left: it is the actual checksum, dynamically calculated from the loaded game files.
Rolling back to an older version
Older stable versions are available through Steam Beta tab. It gives "people a chance to finish of saves already started! (in case a patch breaks save files, or game mechanics changed too much for your liking)"
To rollback :
- Right-click Crusader Kings II in the game library
- Click on Properties
- Select the BETAS tab
- Select the version in the dropdown
- Wait for game files to update
- In the launcher, unselect any DLC released after the selected patch, otherwise the game will crash.
If the version you are rolling back to is from before the GDPR changes took effect you will need to get a code Paradoxplaza. Click Show below Your Games. Copy the code for CK2, and paste it below the drop down menu in the BETAS tab.
The process is the same, to go back to current version, by selection NONE in the dropdown instead.