当印度罗阇DLC激活时, 统治者会有一个转变为他们的首都文化的决议 。需花费500威望。如果封臣和他们领主的文化相同，他们将禁用这个决议。
当一位角色的直辖领拥有一个不属于自身文化的伯爵领，它邻接至少一个属于该角色文化并且被相同文化角色（可能是同一角色）拥有的省份，最常见的事件能够触发。Thus, it is near impossible to spread any culture to islands with this event, as they cannot possibly border a county of your culture unless it was present at game start.
|1||75 年||23.7525 年|
|2||50 年||15.835 年|
|3||25 年||7.9175 年|
正如你所见，只要一个角色拥有高管理属性，他可以相当快地转换省份为他的文化。尽管控制人口减少有一点棘手，因为相当于管理流行病传播，但它给予了一个同样强力的回报。 The conquest culture flag, which is conferred upon invading a province with the right CB as seen higher, finally provides a 0.75 modifier, putting the final optimal MTTH to 5.9381 years.
Some types of wars set a "conquest culture", allowing conversion to that culture even if there are no adjacent provinces of that culture. Like the event above, its MTTH is decreased with high stewardship, province depopulation, and steward mission to administer the realm.
CBs that use
vassalize_or_take_under_title usurp and set conquest culture on counties that cannot be vassalized, such as counties owned by rulers who also control land elsewhere:
- Holy War (which helpfully refuses to vassalize infidels unless the attacker is Muslim)
- Most CBs that target all land within a de jure title
CBs that use
gain_all_occupied_titles usurp and set conquest culture on occupied counties:
- Sanctioned Invasion
- Tribal Invasion
- Prepared Invasion
- Nomad Invasion
- Major revolts (Heretic Revolt, Religious Revolt, Liberation Revolt, Rise of the Shia Caliphate, Decadence Invasion)
The following CBs explicitly set conquest culture on the disputed title, allowing conversion of only the holder's demesne provinces:
- All claim wars set it on the claimed title(s), using the attacker's culture
- Crusades, using the winner's culture (often the most participating attacker)
- Sanctioned Invasion
- Decadence Invasion
Other CBs might not set conquest culture. For example, Border Dispute wars and Pagan County Conquest do not set it. Conquest culture can be seen in-game only with debug tooltips (
charinfo console command). It can also be inferred from the "-20: Foreign Conqueror" opinion from native vassals toward any liege of the conquest culture.
Tribal rulers can send their steward to Settle Tribe in demesne provinces for cultural conversion, the base MTTH for the conversion is 50 years. (Tripled if the ruler is a count) AI rulers do not send their stewards on this mission.
The speed of the conversion primarily depends on the steward's stewardship skill, and the mean time to happen is as follows:
|Steward stewardship||MTTH to convert province|
With Monks and Mystics DLC, rulers can send their steward to Administer Realm to increase the speed of cultural conversion of Spread from adjacent province or Conversion to conquest culture in demesne provinces.
The effect of the steward's mission to Administer Realm is as follow:
|Steward stewardship||MTTH multiplier|
A province that has prosperity level 2 may get an event allowing the ruler to fix its culture for 100% of yearly income. Doing so also converts the province's religion and removes the nomad agitation modifier, if relevant.
The province must be the ruler's crown focus province. The event is more frequent with high stewardship skill and high learning skill.
The base mean time to happen for the event is 40 years. (Doubled if the ruler is not independent) The optimal MTTH of the event is 13.9471 years. (Independent ruler with 18+ stewardship, 18+ learning, Smart , , or or or , and at least a level 3 education trait on stewardship, diplomacy, or learning)
There are special events allowing some cultures to give rise to new ones, and allowing these new cultures to spread quickly within the old ones.
- Norse splits into several cultures starting in 950.
- Province flipping stops if the top liege is Norse and holds either an empire or multiple kingdoms (it doesn't matter which ones) or if the province owner's head of religion is of Norse culture.
- Ruler flipping stops if the top liege is Norse and controls Uppland (Sweden), Akershus (Norway), and Sjaelland (Denmark).
- Provinces can flip back to Norse after 1150.
- Norse does not suffer 'foreigner' penalties with its child cultures.
- Norman is formed if a Norse ruler owns a French, Occitan or Breton province.
- English is formed if a Norman ruler owns an Anglo-Saxon province after 1100.
- Lombard (flips to Italian): Lombard rulers and provinces exist until well after the 1066 start date. They are MUCH more common in 769, however. MTTH reduced by factor of 0.3 if province owner is Latin culture group.
- Dutch culture is formed by event from Frankish, Frisian, or Saxon provinces in the duchies of Holland, Gelre, Brabent, and Flanders. MTTH halved for all 3 cultures if province owner is Dutch.
- Many cultures only appearing in the 769 Charlemagne and/or 867 Old Gods start dates:
- Visigothic splits up into Castillian, Catalan, Occitan, or Andalusian unless controlled by a powerful Visigoth ruler (emperor or multi-king) or if province owner's head of religion is Visigothic (the province himself owner need not be Visigothic, only his religious head). There is a province-based event to flip in 850. Will become Castillian, Catalan or Occitan if province is non-Muslim, specific culture is selected by region. A province owner of the new culture for that region halves MTTH. Will become Andulasian if province is Muslim, and in region custom_andulasia. A province owner of the Arabic culture group halves MTTH.
- Suebi flips to Portuguese, if non-Muslim. Portuguese province owner halves MTTH.
- Saxon flips to German (or Dutch) once Widukind rebellion has happened, unless controlled by a powerful Saxon ruler or if both province owner and his head of religion are Saxon (flips to Dutch if in the duchies of Holland, Gelre, Brabent, and Flanders). MTTH halved if province owner is German.
- Frankish flips to French, or Dutch if in the duchies of Holland, Gelre, Brabent, and Flanders. To flip to French, the province owner must have either Frankish culture or any culture from the Latin group. A province owner with Latin culture group halves MTTH.
- Pictish flips to Scottish unless controlled by a powerful Pictish ruler (emperor or multi-king) or if province owner is Pictish
- Frisian (flips to Dutch if in the duchies of Holland, Gelre, Brabent, and Flanders). MTTH halved if province owner is Dutch.
- Ilmenian, Severian, Volhynian merge into Russian when ruler is either:
- not an unreformed pagan OR
- not of East Slavic or Finno-Ugric culture OR
- already Russian
Members of the Stoic Intelligentsia (the monastic order for Hellenics) may convert a county's culture by spending devotion.
(Without Conclave) If you want to change your child's culture, assign a guardian of that culture with the diligent and/or the gregarious trait. The guardian must be a ruler or in a court with the same culture. You can find appropriate guardians by right-clicking any character of the culture, selecting "show character relations", selecting "my culture", and typing "diligent" or "gregarious". With Conclave, use the Heritage childhood focus.
Assign high-stewardship characters of your culture as counts on the edge of your culture. They'll rapidly change the culture to their own, getting rid of the revolt risk.
Try to have a single county per character. As the culture change event fires on a character level, a single character owning more than one county makes it less likely to happen on a per-county level. This also ensures that your vassals are weakened, and unlikely to challenge your rule.
Try to have your vassals belong to your culture, as you'll get lower revolt risk and avoid the foreigner opinion penalty. Vassals with foreign cultures and located far away from your capital are much more likely to start independence factions.
Prioritize conquering same-culture provinces over provinces of a different culture. Prioritize same culture-group over different culture groups. You'll get less severe penalties that way.
- In nomadism, having a different culture from the present head of the clan will disqualify a dynast from succession.
- Non-Celtics will no longer be able to use Tanistry succession once they inherit.
- A culture from the Tibeto-Burman culture group is required for Monastic Feudalism.
- Chinese Imperialism requires Khitan, Tangut, or Jurchen culture or Chinese culture group. Upon inheritance, the successor will be given the chance to convert if their culture is not "correct".
Note: the order is the one from 00_cultures.txt
|伦巴第||Converts to Italian if in de jure Italy, Sicily, or Sardinia and Corsica||lombard|
|法兰克||Converts to French (except in Frisia)||old_frankish|
|苏维汇||Converts to Portuguese if in de jure Galicia or Portugal and owner is non-Muslim||suebi|
|盎格鲁－撒克逊||saxongfx||Independent dukes are called petty kings||saxon [sic]|
|撒克逊||Converts to German once Widukind rebellion has happened (which won't happen if Saxony remains independent of the Franks).||old_saxon|
|弗里斯兰||Converts to Dutch if in de jure Frisia||frisian|
|荷兰||germangfx||Frankish, Saxon or Frisian provinces in de jure Frisia flip to Dutch||dutch|
|诺曼||normangfx||Created by event if Norse ruler controls French, Occitan or Breton province||norman|
|意大利||italiangfx||Greater likelihood of being elected to College of Cardinals.||italian|
|罗马||romangfx||Can be restored by decision. Blind characters cannot inherit.||roman|
|达尔马提亚||dalmatiangfx||Blind characters cannot inherit.||dalmatian|
|巴斯克||伊比利亚||occitangfx||italiangfx||Enables Absolute cognatic gender law.||basque|
|西哥特||Converts to Castillian, Catalan, Occitan or Andalusian depending on de jure kingdom and owner religion||visigothic|
|阿尔贝里亚||拜占庭||easterngfx||byzantinegfx||Can castrate or blind prisoners via decision. Blind characters cannot inherit.||arberian|
|爱尔兰||凯尔特||westerngfx||celticgfx||Enables Tanistry succession law.
Independent dukes are called petty kings.
All Altaic cultures can raid. All Altaic cultures can use Tribal Invasion CB if Pagan, and either Tribal government or Elective Gavelkind succession.
Mongol, Khitan and Jurchen (Horde cultures) are restricted to Agnatic succession. Without Horse Lords, Horde cultures can use Tribal Invasion if non-Christian.
Mongols can use Ultimogeniture even without following an organized religion. They can also use the "Become Genghis Khan" decision.
Khazars: Radhanite Quarter available for Silk Road Trade Posts
Turkish, Karluk and Khitan use dynasty name as realm title.
Khitan and Jurchen can use the "Adopt Chinese Imperialism" decision
|贝都因||阿拉伯||muslimgfx||arabicgfx||Uses dynasty name as realm title.||bedouin_arabic|
|柏柏尔||berbergfx||Uses dynasty name as realm title. Can always raid for loot.||maghreb_arabic|
|黎凡特||levantinegfx||Uses dynasty name as realm title.||levantine_arabic|
|伊尔门||Converts to Russian if owner is not an unreformed pagan, not East Slavic or Finno Ugric, or is already Russian||ilmenian|
|波斯||伊朗||muslimgfx||persiangfx||Uses dynasty name as realm title.||persian|
|粟特||Independent dukes are called petty kings.||sogdian|
|库尔德||Uses dynasty name as realm title.||kurdish|
|塞种||Independent dukes are called petty kings.||saka|
|埃塞俄比亚||东非||muslimgfx||africangfx||Independent dukes are called petty kings.||ethiopian|
|达朱||Independent dukes are called petty kings. Can always raid for loot.||daju|
|纳瓦||中美洲||mesoamericangfx||mesoamericangfx||Horde culture: can use Tribal Invasion if not Christian (or if Pagan, and either Tribal government or Elective Gavelkind succession, with Horse Lords installed) restricted to Agnatic gender law. Can always raid for loot.||nahuatl|
|阿什肯纳兹||以色列||easterngfx||byzantinegfx||No provinces have these cultures, but courtiers with them appear by event.
Radhanite Quarter available for Silk Road Trade Posts
|旁伽罗||印度雅利安||indiangfx||indiangfx||Uses dynasty name as realm title||bengali|
|尼波罗||bodpagfx||Independent dukes are called petty kings. Can always raid for loot.||nepali|
|耽弥罗||达罗毗荼||southindiangfx||southindiangfx||Uses dynasty name as realm title||tamil|
|马||马||horsegfx||horsegfx||Can be created through the Conclave or The Reaper's Due version of the events where a ruler appoints his horse the realm chancellor or Court Physician.
|猫||猫||catgfx||catgfx||Can be created through the absurd "Mittens the Spymaster" event chain, for a ruler who has a pet cat
You might want to convert to one of these powerful cultures, especially if you have a sprawling empire and most of your vassals will consider you a foreigner no matter what you choose.
|Culture||Succession allowed||Warfare advantages||Other|
Superior leadership traits
|Byzantine (group)||Castration or blinding
|East Slavic (group)|
|Khazar (Altaic)||Radhanite Quarter on silk road trade posts|
|Jurchen (Altaic)||*Can adopt Chinese Imperial government|
|Khitan (Altaic)||*Can adopt Chinese Imperial government|
|Norman||Can flip to English|
There are a couple of cheats that can help to force culture change:
- Culture <Character ID> <Culture> (use the charinfo function to find a character's ID number)
- Event 55000 <Province ID> - will convert the province's culture to the culture of the county's owner. Note that <Province ID> corresponds to the numerical "ID" number listed in the chart on the Counties page.
- Event 55001 <Province ID> - to bring in settlers